Monday, November 07, 2005

Don't hate the player...

We did not have the chapel for much longer so after my grandma was through speaking, Mr. Stream brought the services to a conclusion.

On a scale from 1 to 10 on how Jesus-y Mr. Stream got, I'd have to give him a 2. And I'm pretty happy about that.

The final song of the day was Leon Redbone and I could swear I could hear my dad singing along with his favorite singer.

While the song was playing, I decided to turn around and take another look at who was present. And it dawned on me that something very strange had happened.

My dad's high school sweetheart from Long Beach was here.

My Mom was here.

My dad's girlfriend from his 40's and 50's was here.

And somewhere out there, I knew that his secret girlfriend of the last 4 years, the Wood Lady, was out there.

None of these relationships had ended well, yet all of these women were here.

How funny is that?

The services end and I honestly feel the weight of the world leave my shoulders. It feels like closure but I recognize that what I'm feeling is just closure for today. I'm still going to go through quite a bit to try to fully comprehend what my life is going to be like now.

Many of our Guests approach me and a lot really don't know what to say. And that's okay because just being here is enough.

I seek out the people that I work with and one by one, each one of them gives me a hug. Once again, I'm not a hugging type of person but each moment here means a lot.

I had been thinking all week about quitting my job and heading a new direction in life. After seeing all of them here, I know that I'm in the right place.

A friend pauses while greeting me and tells me that we'll talk later. This person wants to share something with me but now isn't the time or the place. It gets shared eventually and it is the first of a few positive events that occur as a direct result of my father's death. For now, it's going to remain a private moment between me and this person.

Just know that what was shared in this private moment made me feel great when I was just about at my lowest.

A great friend of mine that I used to work with (and compete in urbanchallenge.com with) but now works for a rival company is there and I am shocked. I haven't had a chance to see him since the Chicken was born and he here is.

It is the only time today that I can't hold it together while talking to people.

I see the other guys from my wedding party - Bono and Mike G. They immediately give me grief for not telling them that they could have worn Hawaiian shirts today.

Then I start talking to the women from my dad's life.

I talk to the high school girlfriend first. She's looks better than I thought she would. I had heard that she had cancer but it wasn't apparent. She thanked me for calling her mom to let her know what happened.

She asked how we were doing. I'm just going to smile and blink every time this question gets asked.

Just two rows behind her is my dad's girlfriend from his 40's and 50's. We call her T.J. because of the way they broke up.

They got into the fights of all fights and for all practical purposes, the relationship was over.

My dad got into his Crown Vic and started to pull away from the house but before he could accelerate away, his soon to be ex-girlfriend leaped on to the hood of the car - much like William Shatner would as Officer T.J. Hooker.

I think it is safe to say that when you find yourself becoming a hood ornament, it is time to do some serious soul-searching.

I had always like T.J. but she had made the mistake that so many women seem to make with men.

She thought that she could change my dad.

I ask if she is going to the reception afterwards and she says only if me and Number 2 want her there.

"Of course we do," I reply and I tell her that I'll see her there.

I spend some more time talking with friends and relatives but we have to get moving out of the chapel. If we delay the next service, they will charge us $250.

I'm trying to get people to leave when I hear a woman's voice call my name.

I turn around to see who is trying to get my attention.

She doesn't have to tell me who she is.

I already know that it's the Wood Lady.

VW

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home