Saturday, November 12, 2005

Feedback on Fifty

Please excuse this break in the story but I just wanted to share a couple of thoughts that are outside the scope of where the narrative is currently.

When I started this blog two weeks after my dad died, I really didn't know where it was going to go or who was going to read it.

For the first time in my life, I had a story that I knew that I had to record.

I really had no choice but to write about this.

It was either write or explode (and I thought writing would be less messy).

What I didn't know going into to this is how much I was going to appreciate the feedback that some of you have already provided.

Whether you have posted on my blog or the guest book, or sent me a private email, or just stopped by my cube at work, I can't tell you how much your feedback has meant. So many of these stories that I've told (and are going to tell) are so funny to me, it is nice to have a group of people that I can share that laugh with.

I have had people ask me, "did that really happen?" regarding some of my posts here. All I can say is that I don't have the talent to make this stuff up. I'm doing my best to honestly tell you what I was (and have been) going through. In some cases, this has definitely been a case of truth being stranger than fiction.

Others have asked me about how I am portraying some of the people that have appeared in the story and if they know that I'm doing this.

I recognize that sometimes I can write about a person and it may not put that person in the greatest light. But more often that not, I believe that my judgments about other people may not put ME in the greatest light.

At the end of the day, it is how I felt at that moment in time and I think an honest story will be much more interesting to read. But if you are really concerned about some of the people that have been written about here, I think you'll see in future stories that my opinion of some of them will change over time.

As for the people that know that I'm doing this, there are some but they are folks from my life, not my dad's.

For my wife, this blog has helped fill in not only the blanks created because she was at Space Camp but also the blanks that I've created because I can't articulate how I'm doing. Both my Mom and my brother are aware of the blog but I'm not sure how much they've read. Somebody in Israel logged on this week and I'm assuming that was the Rabbi (Hey G, I need your address). So yeah, there are some folks that know about this.

I had also mentioned that i wasn't really sure where I was going to go with this blog when I started. Over the last couple of weeks, I have figured that out. The only caveat is that at this point, I just don't know where to end. That's because I'm still dealing with the fallout of my dad's death.

In one of my earliest posts, I shared a road map of where I'd be taking us. Now that I've hit 50 posts, I thought I celebrate that milestone by giving you another sneak peek of upcoming topics.

- Speed Bump
- Black Like Me (part II)
- Marty's
- Packing with Anne
- Moondoggie and Jack Tripper
- Mr. VW's neighborhood
- The Reading of the Will
- Retirement Party
- The Library
- The Gentlemen's Club
- Return of the Wood Lady
- F*ck you, Hooray for ME!
- Extreme Home Makeover: Death Edition
- Church Ladies
- We Get Letters!
- Money for Nothing
- Dish f'ing Network
- Mega Millions

and the story you will all be waiting for - Calling my dad's Booty Call!

That's just some of what I've got planned. I'm also going to start adding photos to the blog. The first one will go up when we return to Black Like Me.

Anyway...I just wanted to stop and say thank you. The encouragement and feedback that I've received from you means so much and makes me want to write even more.

Take care and I promise I won't break from the story again until we pass the 100th post.

VW

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home