Thursday, November 10, 2005

Table Touching

I finally made it out of the chapel and it was a relief.

Number 2 and I got into my car and we drove about a mile away to some sort of men's club (Elks? Masons? Shriners?...I'm really not sure) for the reception.

I was looking forward to some lemon meringue pie.

One of Big Daddy's friends helped us out by going to the bakery and picking up all of the pies for us. I couldn't believe that he did that for us. But what I'm finding is that people want to do something to help you when your in a situation like this.

And I really needed all of the help I could get.

We brought a CD player into the reception room and put in my dad's Leon Redbone album. I know he would have enjoyed that.

I found myself bumping around to the different tables checking in on everyone. Finally, the Commander told me that I didn't have to host this event so I pulled up a chair and started on some of the food.

I scanned the room to see who was all there. There were still a ton of people that I didn't know. There were also some people that I hadn't seen in 25 years. I got reacquainted with Buffalo Bob's daughter. She was 18 the last time I saw her at her brother's funeral. Now she was over 40 and had two of her own children with her.

A couple of girls that Number 2 used to hang out with during his church days showed up too. One got right in my face and said, "VW, do you remember me?"

Sure, you're the crazy church girl (I don't use my "out loud voice" for that thought).

I just smile and nod.

I still had the picture of my dad flipping off the camera that I had brought up with me to the podium. I took that around to a couple of his friends to show them.

It got a huge laugh every time.

T.J. had come to the reception and was sitting with the Big Guy's family. I brought the Chicken over to her so they could meet.

The Chicken let T.J. hold her for a bit before fussing and heading back to her mother.

"She's beautiful, VW."

I know every parent thinks that there kid is the cutest. I'm certainly no different. But with the Chicken, we definitely dodged a bullet - she looks like the Commander and not me.

"Thank you. I'm glad you made it today, T.J."

"Me too. I've missed you two boys. Sometime down the line, is it okay if I call you?" asked T.J.

As I've written earlier, T.J. and my dad had a very bad break up that was still very fresh in her mind. They had purchased a house together in 1993 only to break up five years later. For whatever reason, my dad didn't force her to sell the house to get his half of the equity until last year. She couldn't have been happy with him.

"Sure," I said while getting up. "Give me a call whenever."

I moved around the room some more when an older woman caught me eye.

She was wearing something that maybe she might have looked good in 20 years ago but now she looked like a woman in her mid-50's that was just dressed inappropriately.

Maybe even like an old stripper?

My dad had talked to me about this woman but I had never met her.

That was about to change.

As much as I don't like talking to strangers, I was going to introduce myself to a woman named Frenchie.

VW

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home