Thursday, September 22, 2005

The 30-Second Hack

I got home from work and for some reason it felt like someone had hacked into my life with the 30-second advance that you can program into your Tivo remote.

My Mom was there and then she went home to San Diego.

My father-in-law was there but then he disappeared with the Chicken and put her to bed.

Cops was on...and then it wasn't.

I'm unable to focus on anything.

The phone rings and it's Galaxy Girl - the Commander's best friend for more that 25 years...she's also been a great friend to me since we met 12 years ago. She's going to come over and is willing to bring anything that I want.

I just ask for Pringles and Mountain Dew. I also ask her if she can spend the night.

The 30-second advance starts all over again.

The Chicken is asleep and my father-in-law comes back to the living room. We chat for a while. He doesn't want to leave me alone. Once Galaxy Girl is here, he'll take off.

My father-in-law is not normally a very chatty guy and normally we can sit in silence without it being uncomfortable. It is probably one of the few things we have in common, neither one of us talks if we do not have anything to say.

Galaxy Girl arrives and that frees my father-in-law. He takes off after we confirm plans to pick up the Commander at the airport tomorrow.

I start of three-hour conversation with Galaxy Girl that bounces around a variety of topics, including my father's passing. She lets me talk about what I want to talk about when I want to talk about it. I've always enjoyed talking with her.

I remember the first time that my dad had met Galaxy Girl. My dad had called her a "stunning young woman" and I've never shared that with either her or the Commander.

I didn't want either one of them to think my dad was weird.

We catch up on other details of our lives. The funny things that the Chicken will do everyday. The latest on Galaxy Girl's job and her upcoming trip to Egypt. It's nice to be able to talk about the normal stuff too.

It's past midnight and the conversation is starting to dwindle down. I'm going to sleep on the couch and Galaxy Girl sleeps on the Commander's side of the bed.

So that's my day after someone turned on the 30-Second hack. I only wish I could grab the controls of time and rewind about 5 days so I could have that last conversation with my dad again.

VW

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home