Friday, October 28, 2005

Enter the Wood Lady

I'm less than 24 hours out from the funeral and I still have a ton of stuff to do.

I need to write out what I'm going to say tomorrow.

I need to stop by a Vans store and pick up some shoes for me to wear at the services.

I need to pick out the music that will be played at the service.

I need to go with Number 2 to meet with Mr. Stream (he and his wife showed up at our dad's house the day he passed and we've asked him to officiate the services).

So with all of this that has to get done, what do I do?

I email the Wood Lady back.

I can't really help it. My curiosity is getting the best of me. Every time I learn something about my father, it just creates that many more questions. And I know that there are plenty of questions that I just won't get an answer to.

Here's what I sent back to the Wood Lady:

Wood Lady,

Thank you very much for replying to my email. I was aware of the friendship that you and my father have had over the past few years (this, was in fact, a little lie).

My brother and I have been on quite the roller coaster ride in the past week and I'm still not able to wrap my brain around what is going on. While his passing has created a pain that I didn't know was possible, I take comfort knowing that our relationship was better than it had been in 25 years and that he had a chance to get to know his granddaughter. My wife and I are committed to ensuring that the Chicken remembers her grandfather as she gets older and I've taken his glasses and placed them on a shelf in the Chicken's room so she'll know that Grandpa is watching over her as she grows up.

You are more than welcome to attend the services on tomorrow. Also, if there is anything that my father possessed that may have sentimental value to you, please let my brother and I know and we'll see what we can do.

Thank you again for your very kind words. I know how much he cared for us and it was clear to all of us how crazy he was about the Chicken.

Me

This email brought almost an immediate response from the Wood Lady:

VW,

You are more than kind to offer me something of sentimental value of your fathers. All I really want is him back but knowing that is impossible if it is not asking to much there is a book I sent him called Sahara. It is an old book I found in an old book store. There was a movie made of it. I spent a week with him in May and we went to see the movie Sahara and had a great time. He told me he went to see it again after I left to see if we missed anything. I find myself wanting to talk about him constantly to make it all go away as I am sure you do. I just talked to him on Wednesday afternoon, begging him to go to the ER. He told me he would be fine and quit worrying so much. He had an appointment with Dr. Mike on July 26th. I'm sorry, you don't need me rattling on. I just find myself doing this to whoever will listen. I cannot eat, sleep or think as I am sure you and Number 2 are going through too. I am so glad to hear you found your relationship good as well, as he did. He was so proud of his two boys. Although he didn't like your rice burner. lol lol I will, of course be at the memorial service on Thursday at 11. This is asking a lot of you but could someone tell me the address so I can find out how to get there? Thank you. My thoughts and Prayers are with you and Number 2 and the Commander and the Chicken.

Wood Lady

Could any more questions be raised in my head by such a short email?

She had been down recently and spent time with him? Why didn't I know about this? Were we going to meet? What was this relationship all about? She talked to him on Wednesday before he died and he was feeling ill and didn't do anything about it? He was 12 days away from a seeing his cardiologist when he died? And how does she know the name of is cardiologist?

Who the hell is the Wood Lady and why am I finding out about her now?

VW

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home