Sunday, January 15, 2006

N Town - part one

It doesn't take too long for Nerdle and I to track down everyone that we are meeting at the hotel.

The local girl working the front desk is very helpful and throws me a complement about the beanie that I'm wearing. The weather reports that we were getting back home had me worried that I was going to freeze my nuts off in Norwich so I went out and bought a leather jacket, a scarf, and a beanie.

"I like your hat. You look like John Travolta," the front desk girl said while smiling.

I thank her but inside I can't help but think "Shit. I didn't realize that I've gotten that fat."

We knock on one of the doors to one of the rooms that we have and the Commander opens the door. She's happy to see me and plants kisses me immediately.

She must have missed me a little bit.

She and her older sister are putting together a photo display of Big Daddy. They're both a little frustrated because they don't have the time to do this like they'd like to. There are pictures everywhere.

My father-in-law and brother-in-law are out picking up dinner for everyone. They are picking up a bunch of grinders.

The Commander's cousins are all planning on stopping by tonight too. Eric (the oldest) still lives in Norwich and works for a newspaper. Sean is a pharmacist and lives in Mystic. Klumpa is their little sister and she lives with Sean. (Klumpa isn't her real name - it's Krista - but being the youngest, you sometimes get stuck with an unfortunate nickname. You see, Klumpa is short for "Clump of shit").

I've only spent time with these guys about a half a dozen times in the 13 years that the Commander and I have been together but they are among my most favorite people in the world. I wish there were more opportunities to see them and I wish that we weren't seeing them under these circumstances.

I get the lowdown on everything that is going on and it is already obvious to me that the stress level is much higher than it should be. People are not on the same page and some are getting upset. I'm so glad that it was just about me and my brother for my dad's funeral. Trying to balance any family politics would have just been too much for me to handle.

So I watch everything happen here and I feel so disconnected to just about everyone except for my father-in-law.

I know exactly where he is at and what he is feeling.

He's the oldest of two boys....like me.

He's been a bit more disconnected to his father than his younger brother....like me.

He's just trying to do what his father would have wanted him to do....like me.

My father-in-law and brother-in-law arrive with dinner and he comes over to me a shakes my hand.

"Thank you very much for coming, VW. It means a lot that you are here."

Big Daddy, I wouldn't have missed this for the world.

VW

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home