Thursday, January 05, 2006

Number 2 drops a deuce

August has finally rolled around. I'm back in the swing of things at work. And I've started this blog! (Yay!).

Another interesting thing is that Number 2 has been around....a lot.

Number 2 and I haven't always spent much time together either. For most of our teenage years, I lived with our dad and he lived with our mom (it's a long story). We ended up living together for most of my 20's after we outlasted both of our parents and they moved away from Number 2 and I (our mom remarried 15 years ago and moved to San Diego and our dad bought a house with T.J. about 12 years ago).

But since the Commander and I got married, we didn't see too much of Number 2 until the Chicken came along.

Number 2's appearances here were still pretty sporadic and it was due to his job. For 15 years, he's worked at an ink factory in a crappy part of LA (as if they'd have an ink factory in a good part of LA) and he has had the night shift for the last 10 years.

It's a pretty solitary existence and it's one that I don't think he's enjoyed over the last few years.

After everything that we've been through over the last couple of weeks, I'm not surprised when he starts the following conversation while burning through some smokes in front of my house.

"VW, I don't think I want to work anymore."

"What do you mean, Number 2?" I asked.

"I mean I think I hate my job. I think it's going nowhere. I think I'm done."

Number 2 crushes the butt of his smoke on the edge of my green waste trash can and throws it away. I'm just glad he's putting it in a waste receptacle. At one time, he received a notice to fix his lawn at his house and I think it was because over time his smoking habit had created a butt garden just off of his front porch.

"Look, I've been the Company guy. Just like Dad was. And what did it get him? He's 62 and dead. He got four months of retirement. That's the biggest bunch of bullshit I've ever heard of and I don't want it."

Number 2 was angry and I don't blame him. The last two weeks have had what seems to be an endless supply of bullshit.

"Okay, so what are you going to do?"

"I've got money in the bank. I can live on it for a year before I even touch anything that dad's left us. I'll figure out what to do."

We haven't spoken to my dad's lawyer yet but he gave me his will and I'm pretty sure I know where everything is.

My dad's estate had two heirs...me and Number 2. We weren't going to be rich from what my dad left behind but it would be enough that either one of us could afford to make a significant change in our life.

"So, are you okay with me quitting, " asked Number 2.

I get it now. He's not telling me that he's quitting. He's asking if I think it's okay. He's 34 and I'm 35 and I think it is the first time that he's ever asked for my advice. Ever. How strange is that?

I end up telling his something that he doesn't really see coming.

I tell him to quit.

Number 2 is smart and funny and as creative as anyone I know. He's wasting his talents at a company that actually treats him like number 2.

I do ask him if he can wait until we speak with my dad's lawyer. I just want to make sure that he's okay financially before he goes through with quitting.

But he's going to quit. And I think he may do it in a take-this-job-and-shove-it kinda way.

Whatever he does, I know that he will tell us what happened in a way that have us all getting a pretty big laugh out of it.

VW

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home