Thursday, December 29, 2005

Entering Nicholas - part one

When I was in 8th grade, my dad pulled me out of school for a week to go on a business trip with him to Vegas.

It was the best.

We stayed at the Tropicana when it was the class of the strip. I spent all day at the pool with the wives that were on the trip and at night, we would all go to the shows.

I remember seeing Joan Rivers (back when she was funny) and the Smothers Brothers (who can still be funny) one night.

He also took me to a classic Vegas show complete with topless showgirls.

Probably not the best decision my dad made as a parent but I enjoyed it at the time and I was young enough to not be uncomfortable watching this nudity in front of him.

It's the memory that pops into my mind as I get out of the car and walk to the entrance of Nicholas, the strip club that my dad and his peers would visit after work (maybe even during work?).

There's a red velvet rope that is creating a queue for nobody in particular at the front door. There are two cars in the parking lot. I can hear the thumping of the bass coming from the sound system as I approach.

I'm not even inside and I can tell that this is going to be cheesey.

There's a podium at the entrance too. Is that for valet parking or to pay a cover charge? I'm not sure because it is unmanned.

I walk in and it takes a moment for my eyes to adjust to the darkness.

This place is smaller than I thought it would be. The DJ is to my immediate left. He is way too excited about this version of "Cherry Pie" by Warrant that he's playing.

Beyond the DJ booth is the stage and a pole. And when I say stage, I really mean about a 10 foot by 10 foot area that is maybe 12 inches above the floor of the club.

There's a stripper on stage still wearing her blue stripper dress that will be off by the drum solo.

I don't watch her for too long. She's what some (okay, me) might refer to as a butterface (as in, everything about her is good but her face). I feel kind of bad for her because she's up there giving her all for the four puds sitting in a strip club in the middle of the day. I put a $5 bill in my pocket just in case she comes by.

On one side of the stage is a series of booths. On the other side of the stage is the bar.

I head to the bar, pull out a stool, and wait for the bartender to turn in my direction.

VW

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home