Saturday, December 17, 2005

Why I hate Dish Network or Early Termination

It was time to pull the plug.

Number 2 and I were ready to hire movers to get everything out of my dad's house and it was time to disconnect his Dish Network subscription.

During a break in the painting, I phoned their customer service line knowing that I was going to have to tell them that my dad was dead and that his viewing habits were going to be extremely curtailed.

It took a while to get past the customer service phone tree and to a live person.

"Thank you for calling Dish Network. May I have your account number?"

I read the account number to the customer service representative.

"Thank you very much, Mr. VW. How may I help you today?"

Here we go....

"I'm calling on behalf of my dad. He passed away a little over two weeks ago. This was his Dish Network account. I need to cancel it."

"Okay, Mr. VW. Why exactly are you wanting to cancel this service?"

No she didn't. She didn't just ask me that.

"My dad was the subscriber. He is now dead. He will no longer be watching TV."

"Okay, Mr. VW. Is there anyone else that can take over the contract?"

She's joking with me, right?

"No. My dad lived alone. He died alone. And now my brother and I are removing everything from his property."

"So neither you or your brother can take over the contract?"

I'm about to lose it.

"No. I'm with DirecTV. My brother doesn't want cable. And frankly, I'm not too impressed with Dish Network right now."

"Okay, Mr. VW. Unfortunately, your father did sign a one-year contact with us. Because you are ending the service prior to that one-year commitment, there is a $250 early termination fee."

"Well, I'm sorry that my father didn't live up to his end of the bargain, literally. But I can't believe that 9 days after I bury my father, Dish Network is going to ask me for $250 because we are canceling a service that nobody is left to watch."

There's a moment of silence on the phone and then I hear...

"I'm sorry, Mr. VW. I'm going to have to transfer you to a Dish Network representative that can help you with this situation. Please wait on the line.

I'm fuming outside when Number 2 stops and asks what I'm doing. I give him a look that he's seen time and time again.

Leave me alone.

He goes back into the house and I stay on hold listening to all of the great programming that Dish Network has to offer its' living subscribers.

A new customer service representative gets on the phone. Within minutes, she's agreed to waive the early termination fee. She just needs me to fax a copy of the death certificate. Unlike the other person I spoke to on the phone, she has at least an ounce of compassion for what I'm going through.

I take down her name and my confirmation number. I thank her for helping me out.

"Thank you for calling Dish Network," she says. "I'm sorry that you had some troubles today with us and I'm sorry for the loss of your father."

I feel the rage subside within me as the call ends.

VW

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home