Friday, November 25, 2005

Ghostdusters - Conclusion

Organizing my dad's paperwork reinforces a key thought from this past week.

He knew his time was almost up.

Bill after bill demonstrated this.

Because everything was paid off.

Well, not everything. There is still a mortgage on the duplex but it is more than manageable and is actually covered by the frozen in time rent that Moondoggie and Gidget had been paying for the last 20 years. And he had been making triple payments on it all year. Most people would kill to have a mortgage payment this low in Southern California.

But everything else is paid off.

Credit cards. Doctor bills. Everything.

He knew.

Nerdle and I spend the better part of the afternoon working silently in the different rooms. It takes her all day to document and pack up all of my dad's books. It takes me the same amount of time to go through all of the paperwork on the dining room table and I start to work on the paperwork that is in the kitchen and I take a closer look at what in there.

There are a bunch of pictures on the refrigerator that I notice for the first time. There's a couple of the Chicken. There's a nice picture of my grandparents. And there's a picture of somebody that I don't recognize.

It's an African-American kid. He's probably in 4th or 5th grade.

I pull the magnet off of the picture and take a look at the back. There's a thank you note there.

"Dear Mr. VW, Thank you very much for a great day. I had a lot of fun and really enjoyed it. Yours truly, LBK."

That's weird. Probably will end up being one of those questions that won't get answered.

I'm getting to be okay with that. I'm going to have to be. Looking for answers is going to drive me crazy. I'm just going to let the answers come to me.

VW

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home