Thursday, November 24, 2005

Ghostdusters - Part three

I'm glad I'm not packing my dad's things alone.

Nerdle takes a set of boxes that we just purchased from Staples and heads into the computer room to start packing all of my dad's books while I'll set up in the living room to sort and organize all of my dad's mail and paperwork.

My dad didn't really sort his mail very well. A tower of mail takes up nearly all of the space on a small dining room table. Much of it is unopened.

I'm afraid that I'm going to find some pretty big bills that his estate is going to be responsible for.

I start chucking junk mail. Pulling together bank statements. Organizing tax returns.

I'm finding receipts for everything...including the phones that he just bought for all of us just two weeks ago.

I've got the front door open and I can see anyone that is walking around the neighborhood. I see Moondoggie leave his house and start to head over to where I'm at.

It's Friday morning and he's not at work. Did Moondoggie lose his job?

"Hey, VW! Thought I'd come by and see if you needed anything."

"Nah...just going through all of this stuff."

"Yeah..hey...just so you know. Gidget and I are going to start working on the garage next week."

"That's cool. Thanks for doing that."

"What are you going to do with this place?"

I know what we are going to do. We're going to get my dad's stuff out and get a tenant in. He would have been pissed if we didn't start generating rental income.

"Well. we'll clean up. Get the place painted. And find some tenants."

"VW, you don't need to paint. Your Dad just painted this year. That would be a waste."

He's wrong. The place needs to be painted. My dad died here. A fresh coat of paint wasn't going to change that but it was certainly going to make this a warmer place.

"Hey, VW. If you want to make some quick money, there's somebody that was wondering if they could rent this from you for the next month or so. They'd pay a thousand bucks a month."

My interest is peaked. It would be nice to get somebody in here right away.

"Do you know Tripper? He's working on Craigo's house across the street. He's getting ready to move back east and just needs a place for a couple of months. Gidget doesn't like him but he's a good guy."

Great. You want somebody to move in here that your wife doesn't like. I don't say anything yet but it just isn't going to happen.

"He did a lot of work here in this house. He put in those shelves in the kitchen."

Hmmm...the shelves in the kitchen. I hadn't really noticed them before but there were shelves in the kitchen that weren't there when I lived here.

I hate them.

The shelves don't fit into my memories of this house.

The shelves have to go.

Moondoggie cracks open a cheap beer and downs it like it was a beer bong. He lets me know that if I need anything just come by.

I'm starting to realize that I'm not going to have to worry about coming by for help. I'm getting the feeling that Moondoggie is going to be coming over more and more as time goes on.

VW

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home