Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Harvest Season

It's while painting my dad's house that I remember an encounter with a person that must have the worst job in the world.

On the worst night of my life, I got a phone call from a complete stranger.

It was about three in the morning and I was waiting for the Commander to call me back from Space Camp.

Our phone rang but the caller id display said it was a private number.

Who the f is calling me this late (early?)?

"Hullo."

The voice on the other end of the phone isn't clear. It sounds like somebody calling in to an AM radio station and you are about to lose the signal.

"May I speak with VW, please?"

"This is him."

"I'm sorry to call this late in the evening but it is critical that I speak with you as soon as possible. I understand your father passed away earlier this evening. Is that correct?"

"Yes." This stranger is the first person outside of my family that I have told this to.

"I am truly sorry for your loss."

"Thank you." Why do I sense that some gears are about to get shifted?

"VW. Was your father an organ donor?"

I don't think I've ever been so angry at someone in all of my life. My dad is dead. I can't sleep. And this guy is calling me looking to harvest body parts?

The truth is my father would have been happy to give an organ or two if it would have helped somebody else. He donated nearly 70 pints of blood during his lifetime.

But I don't think he really had anything of value to donate.

Skin - sun damaged
Eyes - Messed up since birth
Vital organs - well...they hadn't worked out so well for him this week.

I apologized to the stranger on the phone and told him that this was too much to think about right now and that I think too much time had passed.

He politely ended the conversation on his end and I hung up the phone.

Like I said, that guy has got to have the worst job in the world.

VW

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home