Sunday, December 04, 2005

In the pool

I saw the older lady sitting next to her attorney immediately after I walked into the courtroom.

I had one day left before I returned to work. I was going to spend it in jury duty. And this lady's fate was going to be decided by 12 of us that just walked into the room.

The Commander had asked me why I was going to go ahead with the jury duty.

"Call them. Your dad just died. I'm sure they can delay it."

I have to go to jury duty. My dad would've been pissed if I didn't...for any reason. I was going to be there today and it was partly for him.

Juror selection seems to begin the same way every time. With the judge saying, "Hey dumbasses! Just because you watch Law & Order and CSI doesn't mean that you are an expert it what goes on in my court room."

I want to yell "CHUNG GHUNG" after everything the judge says.

The older lady is pretty distraught. I wonder what kind of case this is going to be. DUI? Shoplifting? Whatever it is, she is clearly upset and can barely hold it together.

The the judge tells us she's the plaintiff.

She suing a doctor for malpractice.

A cardiologist.

A cardiologist that she holds responsible for her husband's death from a heart attack.

I want to raise my hand and see if I can get on another case. No attorney is going to allow me to sit on this one.

I imagine what it will be like to have my number called and have to report to the juror box.

"Okay Mr. V.W. We just have a few questions for you. By the way, can you think of any reason why you shouldn't be on this jury?"

"Ummmm....my dad died 14 days ago of a massive heart attack?"

"Mr.. VW. The court thanks you and excuses you."

We spend the next four hours watching jury selection.

I never hear that question directed towards me.

I never get called.

I never have to say in a court of law in front of a roomful of strangers that my dad just died.

VW

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home