Friday, January 13, 2006

Leaving on a Jet Blue Airplane

When we were cleaning out my dad's house, we found a bunch of strange items that didn't make a whole lot of sense at the time.

Now that I'm sitting in 12B, next to the emergency exit, I'm staring at something that brings me back to the weeks spent cleaning my dad's house.

Airplane earphones.

There were at least a dozen of them in his house. I hadn't realized that he had been traveling that much.

And now, here I am on the way to the Commander's grandfather's funeral thinking again about my dad.

Everybody else had left the day before and I was flying solo on this trip. Because of this, I am your worst nightmare on a plane.

A big man in the middle seat.

The guy sitting next to me on the window can't get out of here fast enough.

"This trip is gonna be wicked hard if one of us doesn't move," he says as he hits the call button for the flight attendant.

They find him another seat and me and the kid sitting next to me get to spread out a bit.

I pull out my ipod and the book I've been trying to finish for a few weeks ("Faithful" by Stewart O'Nan and Stephen King) and wait for our take off.

My father-in-law got us all tickets on Jet Blue so we could fly direct to Boston and then drive to Norwich, CT for the funeral services. I was going to meet Nerdle (my sister-in-law) at the Logan (Boston's airport) and we were going to pick up a rental to get to Norwich.

But before that could happen, I had to make the cross-country flight.

And I hate to fly.

Turns out that the flight is pretty uneventful (like most flights are). Somebody rips a pretty nasty fart on the plane about an hour before we land. I was hoping that the oxygen masks would be deployed but it didn't happen.

There is one weird thing that does happen though.

I had spent a few hours loading my ipod with just about every decent CD the Commander and I own. I thought it would be funny to see how it would shuffle the 432 songs I put on there. So what was the first song that pops up?

God Only Knows by the Beach Boys.

VW

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home