Monday, July 03, 2006

Pro-cras-ti-nation time, C'mon! We're gonna procrastinate now!

The letters have been coming about every six to eight weeks.

And every six to eight weeks, I stick them in my "Dad" file.

Unopened.

Unread.

They are from the funeral home.

I don't need to read them because I know what they say.

They have been waiting for me to give them the final instructions for my dad's grave marker.

It's been nearly a year now since he passed and I can't do it.

I don't know why.

I've been able to get just about everything else done this past year.

But not this.

Then recently, I got a package from the funeral home and I opened that up.

Here's what it read:

Regarding marker:

It has come to my attention that a paid in full maker is on hold for your father.

Let me assist you in completing the marker. I have attached a Marker Authorization Form along with a packet to help you choose the needed information. If you wish to have the Marker completed and set, fill out the following Form and mail it back in the envelope enclosed.

If you have any questions or need additional assistance call me @ (562) xxx-xxxx.

Sincerely,

Ron
Information Counselor

Taking a look at the forms, there really wasn't a lot for me to fill out.

Ron was kind enough to use a yellow highlighter to indicate where I needed to sign and what information he needed from me.

So today was finally the day.

I won't be receiving any more letters from the funeral home. They'll be getting one from me instead.

In the short time it took me to finish filling out the form, my face was once again soaked in tears.

Maybe it was because I see this as the final act of taking care of things for my father.

Maybe it was because we are only 11 days away from the first anniversary of his passing.

I don't know.

The marker should be placed within nine to twelve weeks.

I think I'll take the Chicken out there when it is done.

VW

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home