Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Why I Won't Cheat On My Wife - The Return of the Wood Lady part two

Reading the letter from the Wood Lady caused memories of other women that my dad was involved with to surface.

Shortly after my parents last divorce, I met the trash that my Mom had told me about.

I was at my dad's on Christmas Eve and his place was sparse to say the least. He had a couch and a recliner facing his first television with a remote control in the living room.

In each bedroom, there were matresses sitting on box springs without any bed frames.

There wasn't much else there but it still felt like home.

My dad needed to take us back to my Mom's but somebody delayed our return.

Truthfully, I don't even remember her name. I know she lived down the street from us and she had three kids that were always up to no good.

At best, she was a barfly.

At worst, she was probably a whore.

Now, she was at my dad's and she had a Christmas present for me.

There was no need to unwrap it. It was a Chaps by Ralph Lauren gift set.

The price sticker from Savon was still on the box.

I thanked her for the present and counted the minutes until I would have the opportunity to launch it.

It was the only time in my life that my dad disappointed me. I had hoped that this letter wouldn't bring me any other disappointments.

I've read this letter one hundred times and it always starts the same way.

Dear Number 2,

I hope I don't offend you by writing this but I just feel compelled to write. I want to tell you how much your father loved you. I know that you already know that but it always feels good to hear it from someone else.

(That was nice to read. I wonder what she's going to talk about next).

Let me tell you how I knew your dad.

(Oh shit! Here it comes. The answer to how the Wood Lady became my dad's secret girlfriend)

I went to high school our senior year at Santa Maria High School way back in 1961. We really didn't know each other very well then. Just a hello in passing. He told me he had a crush on me but I never believed him. I think that was just a pick up line. Ha ha.

(Ummm....gross)

Then sometime between your mom and dad's second and final breakup and my divorce from my first husband, your father and I ran into each other while I was working one night at a friends bar for the first and last time waiting tables.

(The Gap Band can now start playing "You Dropped the Bomb on me." WTF is going on here???)

We got to talking and starting dating and I fell madly in love with him.

(I can't believe what I reading. The Wood Lady isn't somebody that my dad was involved with for the last for years. Their history goes back to when I was four years old. How does this happen?)

VW

(to be continued - yes, Roberta, I'm a blog-tease)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home