Monday, March 13, 2006

3.0

Number 2 came over to tell the Commander and I what he wanted to do next.

It had been close to two months since he'd quit his job and my Mom and Grandma were starting to get a little antsy regarding Number 2's sudden retirement from the workforce.

I wasn't worried about it. Number 2 wasn't wasting any money and he bought his house on the right side of this current housing boom in California. Money has allowed him to have the most precious of commodities.

He's got time.

Time to make the right decision for himself.

Time to make sure that he's ready for the next stage in his life.

Time to figure out what he REALLY wants to do.

I'm hoping that he'll go back to school. He's a smart kid but nobody could push him to do better in school. He just wasn't that interested in it.

There was also a time where he had no problem taking shots at me for how long it took me to finish college.

And I let him do that because I knew where we were both going to end up.

But he's got the opportunity to change that right now.

And it's not like he's never had success in school.

In his junior year of high school, he brought home a report card that had two A's, two B's, and two C's.

A 3.0 for Number 2? Frankly, it was unheard of.

He couldn't wait to show it to my folks.

And my dad blew it.

"3.0? This would have been a lot higher if it wasn't for the two C's you got."

That comment wasn't serious. My dad was joking with Number 2.

Number 2 didn't see it that way and he ran away from home the next day.

At least he left a note to say that he was running away. But he didn't give my dad a reason why he ran away.

Number 2 left that for me.

My dad was frantic. "Why did he do this? Why did he run away?" my dad asked.

He was so angry. His large fists beating on the bar in our kitchen.

"It's because of the crap you gave him for his report card."

My dad went from angry to terrified immediately.

"What are you saying, VW? I was joking with him." He was close to a breaking point.

"Well, he didn't see it that way. I guess he felt like that if a 3.0 wasn't good enough for you there wasn't anything that he was going to be able to do."

My dad put his head down and began sobbing. At the time, I just felt awkward and embarrassed for him. But now with the Chicken around, I understand how devastating that must have been.

The realization that you just let your kid down.

Damn, that had to hurt.

"I know you don't like it when I touch you but I just need to hug you right now," cried my dad.

Before I could protest, he was around the bar and holding on to me harder and longer than at any other time in my life.

As awkward and embarrassed as I felt a moment ago, it was now multiplied by about a thousand times. I was pissed at Number 2 for putting me the position that I was in now - consoling my dad.

After for the last 19 years, this has been one of the memories that pop into my head and immediately make me embarrassed.

It was also the last time I hugged my dad.

And now, as I write this, that moment isn't something that is embarrassing anymore. It is the one single moment of my life where I know I did something to help my dad.

I have an indelible memory of that hug and I know that when I miss him, I can travel to the past and be right in that moment.

In my present, Number 2 is telling the Commander and I what he's going to do.

"I'm going to go back to Long Beach City College and start working towards a degree."

I ask him what he wants to do.

"I think I want to teach retards," said Number 2.

That's perfect, Number 2.

Let's just try to get that 3.0 again.

VW

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home