Saturday, May 13, 2006

Pleased to Meet Me - conclusion

I opened the door to where the wedding was taking place and it felt like I was whooshed into a motion picture.

There was the bride and groom lighting their unity candle and here was the Commander and I walking in about five minutes late.

Who has every heard of a wedding that started on time?

We dive for two seats just to our left. I make eye contact with the half dozen people that I know sitting on the other side.

Before I know it, the wedding is over and we are following the bride and groom downstairs to the reception area.

I grab a flute of champagne for myself and sparkling apple cider for the Commander because this reception is going to start with the toast.

It's the first time that I really get to see the fan of this blog. I can see that while it is a bittersweet day for her, the sweet part is definitely outweighing the bitter part.

The toasts end and I reload at the bar (it's an open bar! WEEEEEEEE!).

We get to know the people sitting at our table for a bit. Before long, I see that my fan is heading our way. She greets me as I stand up and extend my hand.

"You must be VW!"

I'm surprised at first but then I realize that we have assigned seats and she probably knew where I was going to be sitting.

"Yes, I am. It is so nice to meet you. Your daughter has told me that you've enjoyed the blog."

"I have. It has been nice to read. This must be the Commander."

I introduce her to my wife and then she introduces herself to the other people at the table.

Now, I got to admit. I'm feeling like an idiot. I'm on a feedback high but I want more.

Tell me more about what you like about the blog.

She leaves our table as dinner is starting to be served. I engage in the small talk while I try to figure out my next move.

I need to talk to her more but I think I'm only going to get one more shot.

What do I want to know?

I think about this through dinner and I land on what I want to ask her.

When she returns I ask her what her favorite story has been.

"I liked the story about Dish Network. I went through so much of that when my husband passed."

Nice. She DOES read the blog. And she does have a favorite part!

"VW, you need to keep writing. You are talented. But eventually, you'll need to turn your focus from the grief and towards the joy of life."

I wanted to ask for more feedback. Wanted to see what else she liked. But I felt like I was getting close to crossing a line.

It was her daughter's wedding day. She should be out there enjoying it instead of talking to me about some dumb blog.

Our conversation ended and she ended up doing just that.

The dancing had begun.

As the Commander and I left the reception, I turned to get a glance of the dance floor.

There was my blog fan dancing a way to the radio edit version of "My Humps."

I smiled at her as the Commander and I made our way out of the reception.

VW

1 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Another nice entry. I finally figured out why there are not more comments on this blog - those individuals viewing it from behind the corporate firewall of a certian major entertainment company are prevented from commenting by the settings their I.S. group has established. Mystery solved.

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home