Friday, October 28, 2005

Hey Mr. DJ / What's going on?

I've developed a new skill this week. If there is something that I don't want to think about anymore, I put it into a side of my brain not in use and i move on to the next thing that I need to do.

For the next hour, it's all about music.

I know what artists we will play at the funeral, I just don't know what songs. Here's what I've come up with.

We will have them play the opening theme to the Tom Selleck movie, "High Road to China" at the start of the ceremony. My dad listened to that CD every time he drove out to the river to see his parents. Number 2 pulled that one out of my dad's truck.

I want to play "God Only Knows" by the Beach Boys after I speak. My dad introduced me to the Beach Boys with the album Beach Boys, Live on the Sunset Strip. I listened to that record more than any other album ever. I love Brian Wilson's solo stuff too. The guy is a nut but his work touches me like nobody else. His first solo album is the best! I like it more than Pet Sounds or Smile.

And to wrap up the services, I thought we should hear some Leon Redbone. Most people were introduced to Mr. Redbone through either his Bud commercials in the 80's or the theme song of the Bob Eucker vehicle, Mr. Belvedere. I was introduced to him when he set the record for most times as a musical performer on SNL during the '70's.

My dad also took me to a Leon Redbone concert when I was 12. It was the first concert I'd ever been to.

I didn't know his favorite song so I picked "Polly Wolly Doodle." It's a great version of an American classic. Better than the version you used to hear the frogs sing in America Sings at Disneyland.

Here's the lyrics if you're not familiar:

Well I went down south for to see my gal
Polly Wolly Doodle all the day
She got curly eyes, laughing hair
Polly Wolly Doodle all the day
Fare thee well, fare thee well,
Fare thee well my fairy fay
For I'm going to Lou'siana for to see my Susianna
Sing Polly wolly doodle all the day

There's a grasshopper sitting on a railroad track
Polly Wolly Doodle all the day
Picking his teeth with a carpet tack
Polly Wolly Doodle all the day
Fare thee well, fare thee well,
Fare thee well my fairy fay
For I'm going to Lou'siana for to see my Susianna
Sing Polly wolly doodle all the day

Went to a river, couldn't get across
Polly Wolly Doodle all the day
Jumped on a 'gator, thought it was a horse
Polly Wolly Doodle all the day
Fare thee well, fare thee well,
Fare thee well my fairy fay
For I'm going to Lou'siana for to see my Susianna
Sing Polly wolly doodle all the day

VW

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home