Saturday, January 21, 2006

N Town - part five

The drive to the cemetery takes a little bit of time and it is decided that we should stop and get gas for the rental cars before our trip back to Boston tonight.

My brother-in-law accidentally pulls up to a Full Serve island and my mother-in-law charges out of our car to get him to move over to Self Serve.

In the 13 years that I've been with the Commander, I've never seen her mother move that fast.

We pile back into the cars and head over to the cemetery.

Big Daddy had purchased more than a dozen plots here and they weren't even close to being half full. He had a instructed his sons not to sell these plots back because they were worth far more now than what they would be refunded.

This family was going to have a lot of elbow room in this place.

The drive had put the Chicken to sleep so I stuck with her in the car while others looked at the various grave markers.

The last house that Big Daddy owned was just on the other side of the cemetery and when Huckleberry passed away, Big Daddy and his two sons walked back home from the cemetery instead of taking the limo that had brought them from the services.

"Let's walk over to my dad's old place," suggested my father-in-law.

I don't think the Commander got what was going on. Her dad had been pretty space-y over the course of the last week and now he wanted to walk over to a house that hadn't been in their family for more than a decade.

I understood what he was doing. When you lose a parent, there's no manual on how you should or shouldn't react. There's nobody that can guide you as to what you should do next.

You go with your gut.

You do what feels right.

And right now, it feels right for my father-in-law to walk with his family along the same path he took with his father and brother after they buried his mother.

And for me, it felt like the right thing to do too.

VW

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home