Saturday, January 21, 2006

N Town - part two

I woke up by myself in the hotel room and I had no idea where I was.

It took longer than it should have for me to remember the events of the last week that had brought me here to Norwich.

The alarm clock hadn't gone off yet and I another 15 minutes before I needed to wake up and start to get ready for the services for the Commander's Big Daddy.

My father-in-law had reserved four hotel rooms for the nine of us. Due to some snoring issues that I can occasionally (okay, always) have, it was decided that it might be best if I slept by myself.

After completing the obligatory three S's (if you have to ask what that is, you don't want to know), I headed out to the s
I head back to my room and try to post an update on the blog using a blackberry I just received at work. I find that I need a little more room to write effectively than this tiny QWERTY keyboard gives me.

It's getting close to time to go but getting the nine of us on the same page is kind of like herding cats.

Finally, we get into our two rental cars and head to the funeral home.

I'm in a car driven by Nerdle. My father-in-law is in the front seat and I'm in the back with my mother-in-law.

We are only a couple of miles away from the funeral home but there aren't the straight avenues and streets that you see in Southern California here. My father-in-law ends up giving us a tour of his home town.

There's an old warehouse on the left.

"This used to be a 7-Up bottling plant. We would come by here after school and they would give us the bottles of soda that didn't cap properly. It was a double bonus because not only did we get a free drink but we could also turn in the bottle later and get a nickel."

We pass a steep hill on the right.

"I almost died there in a sledding accident when I was seven."

We turn again and pass a large brick building.

"That's where I went to high school."

A small catholic church is on the left.

"My father built the alter in there."

We eventually pull up to the where the Polish people go when they die in this town. It is a family run establishment (think Fisher & Sons from Six Feet Under). I realize that the small white building is actually two double-wide trailers sitting side by side.

The nine of us empty out of the two rental cars and head inside.

The Commander's family that lives here is already here. We had a chance to see the cousins last night but now they are all suited up for the service. The Commander's aunt and uncle are also here. I wait my turn to give each one of them a hug.

Pictures of Big Daddy are set up in front. There is also a sign in book that the Commander signs for the three of us.

Above the book is Big Daddy's name and the time the service is going to begin. The services aren't starting at 10:00, they are starting at 11:00.

I don't know how the Chicken is going to get through this.

Past the greeting room, Big Daddy is there in an open casket.

I look to the Commander and she heads over there with the Chicken.

The Commander has a funny way of crying. It starts with a lip quiver that almost makes you think that she is joking. Then, she doesn't make any noise, her eyes just leak tears down her cheeks.

She's staring at Big Daddy and the tears are starting to roll.

The Chicken points at Big Daddy and says "He's sleeping." It's maybe the cutest thing I've ever heard her say.

The Chicken asks her Mommy why she is crying and the Commander explains "because that's my Big Daddy."

For someone that is dead, Big Daddy actually looks pretty good. He does look like he's sleeping. The area around his eyes is a little red but other than that, there is nothing unnatural about his appearance.

An American flag drapes the casket and a picture of his wife, Huckleberry, is resting just inside the casket with him.

There is a small alter immediately in front of the casket. I watch as each member of the family takes a turn to have a private moment kneeling in front of the casket.

I take the Chicken and the Commander goes up there too. She doesn't kneel but I see her kiss her hand and touch his hand to say goodbye.

The Chicken and I head out to the other room. We have quite a bit of time before the services start.

Others start to arrive, including two toddlers that the Chicken develops an interest in. There's a one-year old boy and a three-year old girl. The Chicken approaches the girl and I realize that the girl may be a little bit Down-y (if you know what I mean). The three-year old almost immediately takes the binky out of the Chicken's mouth and puts it in hers.

It's not a big loss, I've brought back-up binkies.

The family takes their seats but the Chicken starts acting up. She wants her Mommy but the Commander needs to stay in for the services. Before I start getting the look from anyone in attendance, I scoop the Chicken up and we head outside.

We will do some laps around the funeral home and wait for the services to end.

VW

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home