Saturday, January 21, 2006

N Town - part six

I've never been one for the snow but I do remember an Indian Guides trip that I took with my dad that was great.

He would take Number 2 and I to the top of a hill in an tube and the three of us would race down the hill for hours.

I hadn't thought of that moment until I saw my own child get her first shot at playing in the snow.

After visiting the cemetery, we headed over to the house of the Commander's aunt and uncle. They still had snow in there back yard.

By the time we got there, a snowball fight had already broken out in the back yard.

The Chicken was right in the middle of it and I have never seen her have as much fun as she was having out there.

It's funny how things work out. Five hours ago, this family was morning the loss of their patriarch.

And now, the kids are having a snowball fight and every parent there is enjoying watching their own children play in the snow.

Eventually, we bring all of the kids back into the house. The Chicken isn't too happy about ending her snow play and she lets us know it.

There is nothing like seeing your child be so completely full of joy. We will have to do this again sometime.

The family hasn't had much time to catch up and my father-in-law and his brother have some business to take care of in a back room.

Everybody is talking about everything but Big Daddy.

For some reason, the conversation becomes about the Oprah show.

The Commander's aunt starts lets us all know that she doesn't like the shows were people are trying to get in touch with there feelings.

Two seconds after this sentence ends, my mother-in-law asks if anybody wants to share their feelings about Big Daddy.

That question is met with an awkward silence and I turn to leave the room.

I haven't had a chance to talk to the Commander's uncle yet and I really want to. To say that he is a character would be a gross understatement. He is over the top funny. At Nerdle's wedding, he opened up his dress shirt on the dance floor to reveal a Beattlejuice (of Howard Stern show fame) t-shirt. He's a classic.

"I just want you to know how sorry I am," I say to the Commander's uncle.

He thanks me and immediately makes a joke.

"I don't know if you know this but I lost my father six months ago."

He straightens up like I had hit him with a taser. He goes to shake my hand and in a very serious tone says "I'm sorry. I didn't know."

"Thank you. I just want you to know that it will get better."

He smiled at me and proceeded to share a rated "R" email that was pretty funny. I went to go get the Commander so she could get see it too.

Before I know it, we need to pack up and head back to Boston. We are staying at the airport Holiday Inn because my flight out is at 6 a.m. and the rest of the family leaves at 8 a.m.

Our visit here was too short and bittersweet. The cousins mention that they'd like to come out when the Red Sox visit Anaheim later in the summer.

I'll make sure that I get tickets good enough that when they see their seats, they'll just say that they are "wicked awesome."

VW

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home