Monday, July 03, 2006

The Magic Currency


I recently caught an "Inside the Actor's Studio" with Mike Myers and something he said about his father really resonated with me.

Myers said that the money and fame that he had accumulated had been great but the real measure of his wealth was being able to share all the cool things that happened to him with his father.

It was an entirely different currency he got from his dad.

A magic currency.

When his father passed away, he didn't know how to get that feeling back. There was no place to find that magic currency.

That didn't make sense to me until just a couple of weeks ago when something really cool finally happened for me.

I have already written that we are now expecting our second child but I don't think I've shared that we now know the gender.

We found out that we are having a boy.

My first reaction was of disbelief. I thought we'd be having another girl for sure.

I never even let myself think for a moment that this second child might be anything other than a girl.

But it is a boy.

After we left the doctor's office, I thought of all the people that we needed to call.

The Commander's Mom and Dad.

Number 2.

My Mom and Dad....whoa....waitaminute.

Why would I even think that we would call my dad?

How weird is that?

And that's when I started to get a little bummed about not being able to share the cool stuff with him, just like Mike Myers described.

But even though my dad won't be here to share this with us, I catch myself doing things with the Chicken just like he would've done with me and Number 2 when we were kids (like putting her up on the counter at McDonald's and letting her pay).

And every time something like that happens, I get a little piece of that magic currency again.

VW

1 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Touhing post, well written!

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home