Thursday, July 13, 2006

The Year of Living Dangerously

If feels like there is a creepy grandfather clock down the hallway from me getting ready to strike midnight.

In an hour, it's going to happen.

It will have been one year since my dad passed away.

One year since the Commander went to Space Camp and got her nickname.

One year since I went to the Long Beach Aquarium with the Chicken and my Mom.

One year since the Chicken took the phone of the hook.

One year since my mother-in-law knocked on my door and told me to call Number 2.

One year since my uncle told me my dad was gone.

One year since the Long Beach Police Department was so kind to us.

One year since Number 2 and I looked at each other and just said "What the fuck?"

One year since I said "Bye, Pop."

It feels like yesterday.

And as bad as July 14th, 2005 was for me, it was the start of some great things in my life.

I'm closer to the Commander than I've ever been.

Number 2 has completely changed the direction of his life. He's in school and doing really well. He's sober. And he's doing everything he can to lead a fulfilling life.

For the first time in our lives, he and I are on the same page. I am so proud of him and I know that my dad would be bursting with pride if he was seeing this amazing transformation.

I'm closer to my Mom than I have ever been.

Work is better now than it was a year ago.

The Commander and I are getting ready to move to a larger house to accommodate our little pancake that will be arriving in November.

But maybe the biggest change this past year was making this all public on You Are Out Of The Will.

There are a few of that have posted here or have sent me emails about what I've written here and it means the world to me when I here from someone that my stories have made you laugh or cry.

And then, there are the people that called me to ask me how I was with tomorrow approaching. I can't even express how touched I was that you expressed concern for how I was doing.

Thank you for thinking of me.

I'm so thankful I have this record of my thoughts and experiences. When the Chicken and Pancake are older, I hope they appreciate this snapshot in time.

I know I appreciate all of the snapshots that my dad left for me.

VW

1 Comments:

Blogger Ann said...

Hi VW! Congratulations on successfully completing your first year of grief. Odd way to put it, I know. But I've found that once you can't say "This time last year he was...(fill in the blank)" things start to get better.

April 18th was the one-year anniv. of my brother's death. Since then much of the fog has lifted (there's still some hanging about) and life, for me, is on the upswing.

Thanks for sharing with us. I feel like you and I were on this journey together this past year, and you have helped me in many ways.

I wish you the very best in your very exciting future! Let us know when the pancake leaves the griddle!

Warmly,

~Ann

5:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home